When people talk about how much they notice certain kinds of advertising, television ads and car wraps are often listed as two of the most memorable types of ads. In fact, it has been estimated that the average car wrap can get anywhere between 30,000 and 70,000 impressions in a single day. If you looking at creating a car wrap design for your company, there are a few things you can do to make it more memorable.
- You message needs to be your brand. If you are Coke or Pepsi, you can branch out with your car wrap design but if you are trying to raise brand awareness in your community and your are not as well known, your message needs to be your brand. One of the biggest reasons these kinds of campaigns do not do as well is that the business starts out with low brand awareness and does not use the car wrap design as a way to build it up. Clever slogans or funny imagery will not help you increase people’s awareness of what you do. Stick to your logo, name, slogan and contact information. That is all you need to get across.
- Keep your images simple. When you look at good business car graphics, they do not include photos. You can use that space more effectively by putting your logo as the main graphic. There are a few reasons for this. It can be hard to get a photo to look right in a car wrap design. It also takes up a lot of valuable real estate. When you are looking at vinyl wraps for vehicles, even vinyl wraps for trucks, which have more space, you need to be economical with your space. Photos do not connect as well with your brand and company name the way your logo does and they add very little in the way of advertising value.
- Remember, you do not have much time to make your impression. It has been estimated that you have about 2.5 seconds to get your point across with your car wrap design. That is not a lot of time. You want people to instantly know what you do. In that respect, your slogan is very important. Your name may not tell people what you do. For instance, “Miller and Sons,” can work in a wide variety of businesses. They could be plumbers or accountants. Unless your name has something that says what you do or sell, “Al’s Pizza” is probably a pizza place, you need a slogan or a descriptive logo.
- The fewer words you can use, the better. This is good advice for just about everything. Press releases should never run past a page, nor should most resumes. Slogans should be short and to the point. Car wrap designs should have as few words as is absolutely possible. Remember, you have 2.5 seconds to get people to read and understand your car wrap design. You do not have the luxury of time to put a paragraph on your vinyl car wrapping. No one will ever get past the first few words. You do need your web address and phone number.
- Your car wrap design needs to be noticeable. That does not mean it has to be cluttered with crazy crap. You do not need a lot of bells and whistles on your vehicle wrap for it to be noticed. You really need a simple design with am equally simple message. Again, you need people to see it and instantly know what products or services you offer. If you clutter your car wrap design with extraneous graphics and frills that have nothing to do with what you do or what your brand represents, you will be actively working against yourself. That is the last thing you want to do with your car wrap. This does not mean you should not be creative with your car wrap design.
Using car wraps to advertise a business can be a great way to spread the word and get people talking about your business and what you do. Simple and effective vehicle wraps are great for building brand awareness and growing your business.